With the 4th of July officially over, we now enter into the number one travel month of the year. Are you ready for the hectic month ahead?! A sign of the times is that flights are fewer, lines can be longer, baggage charges are rising and many of the amenities are no longer there….you’re on your own, gals, to wing it, so you have to be prepared to be the smartest you can be when readying your baggage for vacay time!
The following are some tips from The Chic Sheet from many years of traveling for business and pleasure and let me say it is still a “work in progress” for me, as looking my chic-est at all times is at the forefront of my packing experience!
The hardest for most of us ladies is dealing with Cosmetics. You must try 3floz.com, founded by two friends, Alexi and Kate, that traveled together in two opposite ways for many years and turned their “commitments” to their fave cosmetic products into both tiny individual items of the best they could find and kits that are perfect for every need….emergency, beach, anti-aging, etc.
Also, now with the addition of BB Creams, four products in one, lightening up your carry-on really is possible. Live lighter…check it out!
The following are some tips from the master of “do as I say, not as I do” who is learning myself to be better at this. After all I don’t always have my personal valet (hubby) to schlep for me and I’ve had airline check-in people yell at me and take out of my bags….not a pleasant experience. You have to either lighten up or pay up…..and somehow paying more just for my luggage, challenges me on to try harder at this!
The following are my best tips: Pre-planning and actually Packing, both go hand-n-hand to make it all better.
10 Steps to Packing Smarter (and lighter!)
- Check the weather: Nothing is typical anymore. Who would have thought that Aspen, NYC and Houston were all at similar temps last week?
- Make a list of activities: Anticipate your plans and take fewer apparel items in easy care fabrics and throw in some laundry products for those hiking and/or swimming digs; much easier.
- Luggage: Invest in the newest lightweight aluminum bags; if packed correctly, they wrinkle your frocks less; don’t waste pounds on your bags, fashionistas, when you could use those pounds for your fave vacay-wear!
- Decide on a color scheme: Pieces in same or related color families, primarily in knit fabrications, that you can mix & match works best; also can help here with less shoe packing (the biggest pain & added poundage on scale). Nude shoes, a fashion trend, helps here, they go with everything!
- Plan outfits: Take nothing that can’t be worn with at least two other items or in several different ways; always count on a few basics…LBD or LWD, black bottoms, white bottoms, tops that go with both…and denim, favorite blues or pop of color for fashion newness!
- Make a List: Do your homework first and check what hotels provide; then list it, hang it (invest in a portable chrome hanging rack from the Container Store), look at it and edit and edit again and you’re there! Take your packing list along, also helps you when you’re leaving to come home to make sure you leave nothing behind. (how many of us seasoned travelers have left a favorite item in a hotel room?!)
- Choose Carry-ons wisely: Great in pops of fashion color or in basic hues (your choice). If you’re a checker like me, remember to carry along your best jewels, your must-have toiletries (3fl.oz here), meds and of course, electronics, including chargers…don’t forget flight delays, they happen!
- Toiletries: Packed toiletries should be sized down also; if you can’t find the exact product in sample sizes at 3 floz.com or Sephora (known for offering great sample sizes); visit the Container Store, great travel resource for packable sized containers for that anti-wrinkle cream that you must apply daily, whether for bus. or play!
- Roll your clothes: Takes up less space; wrinkles less; more room for those problem shoes (remember wear your bulkiest pair on plane if possible…hiking boots?!, not sure, try it!
- Accessorize: Take the time to pull together a goody bag of scarves, fun hats (fedoras & baseball caps), lots of jewelry options, belts and clutches….all of which can make repetitive dressing look new each time you wear it; saves on the apparel needs.
Casual Chic Airport dressing:
Buy it here: